If you are concerned about any aspect of your physical, emotional or mental health it’s best to seek advice from a member of the medical profession. Or you can contact the Student Advice Service for further guidance.

Medical Care


Each college will have a nominated college doctor with whom they encourage students to register. It’s a good idea to register with a GP in Oxford because your medical records will be available if they are needed in an emergency.

Most college doctors will hold surgeries in college, where you can sign up for an appointment.

If you do not want to register with your college GP, then you can find a list of alternative doctors by searching on NHS Choices. The website will show you their contact details, let you know whether they are accepting new patients and provide you with a registration form.


Most colleges also have a college nurse who runs a general health care surgery during specified hours where you can sign up for an appointment.


Many colleges have a nominated dentist. Ask your Welfare Officer for their name and address. For details of local dentists offering NHS treatment you can consult the British Dental Association website.

Paying for Healthcare

Students in full-time education under the age of 19 are exempt from most NHS charges, e.g. prescriptions. Other students may be entitled to help with charges on the grounds of low income, if they’re on benefits. Further information is available from the NHS leaflet HC11 - "Help with Health Costs".

If you are not entitled to help with your health costs and you require regular prescriptions, you may find that you could save money by purchasing an NHS Pre-Payment Certificate.

International Students

If you are on a full-time course that lasts for 6 months or more, or one that is substantially funded by the UK Government, then you’re eligible for the same treatment from the National Health Service (NHS, the UK's public healthcare provision service) as an ordinary UK resident. However, you may not be covered if you come here with a pre-existing health condition. Your spouse, civil partner and children will also be covered if they are living permanently with you for the length of your course.

If you are here for less than 6 months, you will not be eligible for free healthcare, so you should ensure that you have private health insurance which covers your time in the UK.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has a helpful website that can tell you more about healthcare in the UK.

If you have concerns about any of the above you may wish to consider speaking to an Advisor at the Student Advice Service.

Generic Medicine

Pharmacies sell a wide range of medicines which do not need to be prescribed by a GP. Pharmacists may also be able to give you general medical advice on a range of minor health conditions.

Independent Advice

The Student Advice Service is the only free, independent and confidential advice, information and advocacy service exclusively available to Oxford University Students. Get in touch if you need help or advice.