There are a number of resources in Oxford providing information and support for students worried about eating disorders. Certain services will need you to speak with a GP or counsellor and be referred by them, others you can approach directly.

College Resources

Your GP or college nurse is the best place to begin, since they will have access to your medical records and you can get an appointment quickly. Many GPs will have emergency appointments so if you feel you need to speak with someone urgently, ask for an emergency time slot. They may refer you to a counsellor, or direct you toward a support group.

Your college welfare officers are available if you do not wish to contact medical services or the Counselling Service. Anyone you initially approach should refer you to the most appropriate type of care.

If you are concerned, you may wish to consider speaking to an Advisor at the Student Advice Service.

University Resources

  • The University Counselling Service can arrange appointments and see students generally within ten working days.¬†
  • Nightline is an independent student-run listening service that provides support and information for students from 20.00 to 08.00 from 0th week to 9th week. It is a confidential service through the telephone.
  • Student Peer Supporters are undergraduates and graduates selected and trained by the University, who are available to listen about any concerns you may have. Call 01865 270270.
  • Enough! is part of Student-Run Self Help (SRSH) and is a self-help group providing support for students with eating disorders. The group meets every Thursday from 19.30-21.30 during term time, and a small team of trained volunteers run the meeting. For more information, please visit the SRSH website or email. All emails are confidential.

Independent Advice 

The Student Advice Service is the only free, independent and confidential advice, information and advocacy service exclusively available to Oxford University Students.


The Vice President Welfare and Equal Opportunities is available to speak with anyone wanting to campaign in college on issues connected with eating disorders.

National Help Organisations