Oxford is expensive and so funding your course and your living expenses can be stressful. But don’t panic, in addition to your student loan or postgraduate grant there are alternative sources of funding available.


Most colleges have funds in the form of bursaries and loans that their students can apply for. Many colleges also have hardship grants available for students who find themselves in unexpected financial difficulty and specific purpose grants for equipment or course related travel. The amount and eligibility criteria for accessing these funds varies between colleges and information can be found on your college website or from your college office. 

If you feel that you have been charged the incorrect fee, you should first discuss this with your college. If you still have concerns, please contact the Fees Clerk.


The University offers a fee reduction scheme for undergraduate students from the UK and EU who started their course in 2012 and whose household income is less than £25,000. Further information is available at on the University website. The University also administer the Oxford Bursary Scheme and the Oxford Opportunity Bursary scheme for home students from lower-income households, to cover some of the costs associated with living in Oxford.

The University Hardship Fund is designed to help students who experiences unexpected financial hardship. You must be able to demonstrate that something that you did not and could not foresee at the start of your course has occurred which means that your original budget is no longer valid. The application must be processed through your College and application forms will be available from your College office. For graduate students in the final stages of a DPhil the Vice-Chancellors' Fund is available. Applications must be made via your college office by the deadline, week three of Hilary Term.

National Funding

The Access to Learning Fund is a hardship fund provided by the UK Government for full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students. These awards are administered centrally by the University at the Student Funding and International Office. Applications may be made throughout the year and application forms are available from your college office.

Charities and the voluntary sector

A useful source of information for exploring funding opportunities from charities and voluntary organisations is the Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding (the University has subscribed to the guide, which you can access free of charge by using your email address to register). The  Alternative Guide is published independently by GradFunding, it provides a database of alternative funding opportunities from charities and trusts and gives advice about how to apply to them.

Funding for Student Parents

If you are a UK full-time higher education student with dependant children, you may be able to get extra financial help. A Childcare Grant is available to help with childcare costs and the Parents' Learning Allowance to help with your learning costs. Other help includes the Access to Learning Fund, find out more on the Direct Gov website.

You may also be eligible for Child Tax Credits from HM Revenue & Customs, tel: 0345 300 3900.

Funding for students with a disability

The Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) provides funding for extra costs arising during study as a direct result of disability. The amount awarded is determined by an assessment of need, not income. UK students can also apply to the Access to Learning Fund (see above) for disability-related costs not covered by DSA. The Disability Advisory Service (DAS) provides information, regarding funding available for students.

Independent Advice

If you are experiencing financial difficulty, or have a particular concern regarding finances, or want advice on what happens if you suspend or withdraw from your course, please speak to an Advisor at the Student Advice Service.